Monday 20 February 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Diana's review
4 of 5 stars
February 9, 2012

I'm a bit confused on how to review this book. I really felt like I was reading 2 different books. I can tell you exactly where I felt the book shifted into a completely different book, so this might have been completely intentional on the author's part (though I don't want to give you any spoilers so read the book and then we can discuss your thoughts ;-)). 

The first thing that caught my attention when reading this book was the writing style. It's written like you're reading Juliette's diary. The words were flowy and descriptive. It was very poetic and beautiful, but the poetry of the writing left me disconnected from the story and the characters. Juliette and Adam are great and all, but I wasn't connected enough to them to be emotionally invested in their well being.

The one character that I did love, though, was Warner. He was written beautifully. The man is Psychotic with a capital P. In a sick and twisted way I could understand where he was coming from. He was definitely my favorite character.

The beginning of the book I thought was a little slow. Once the shift happened though, it really picked up. I found the second half hard to put down. And the ending took a turn I did not at all expect. I liked the ending, but I didn't think it fit smoothly with the rest of the story. Like I said, it read like 2 different books. But once the pace picked up in the second half, I become more drawn to the main characters and started to fall for them. I will definitely be picking up the next book.

Get your own copy of Shatter Me on Amazon or Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment