Saturday 21 July 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #1

For my very first ever 'Shelf Candy' Saturday post I chose
Fix by Force by Jason Warne.

I love this cover because if you've read the book, you know that the author did a great job capturing the character.  Once you see what he's going through in the story you, can see his pain and despair in this picture.



I had the opportunity to interview Jason Warne a while back for the Making Connection blog and asked him about the cover of his book...

"I love the cover art. Who created the cover and what was that process like for you as the author?
I actually designed the cover myself—both front and back covers. The image on the front is my younger brother, Mitchell, and we took the picture in my kitchen with just a dark blanket as a backdrop. I edited the photo and used the scene of Spencer’s late-night triceps injection as the cover’s theme when designing. The process was actually quite enjoyable and I am glad that I had creative control of my cover. The publisher made an attempt and did a nice job, but their version didn’t capture the darkness and despair of the moment, and since I was more familiar with the feelings and themes of the part of the story that inspired the
cover, I figured I could give it go on my own, and am very glad I did."

You can see the full interview on the Making Connections blog HERE


Synopsis
Spencer doesn't have a choice.He can't choose to be different than what he is--the son of the town's worst enemy, the weakling who can't stand up for himself, the loser without friends.He can't change the way things are.Or maybe he can.Immediate confidence.Rapid change.Instant hope.These are the things Spencer believes he needs to fix his life, and that is what the steroids promise--a quick fix.But promises can be broken and shortcuts are often treacherous, and Spencer must decide if those risks are worth the perceived rewards--if "artificial" hope is strong enough for him to be fixed, by force. 





'Shelf Candy' Saturday is a weekly meme hosted by
Find out how you can participate


3 comments:

  1. I like this cover. I think the cover making process is very interesting and it's even more so when the authors make decisions and/or are hands on about it, since they have the "making of" knowledge. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reasons for picking this cover. It is great to read a book and have that moment when we see the cover for even more than we initially realized. The note in the reflection is creepy and mysterious. There is no doubt that it is a cover that makes me want to know more.
    Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have know it was your first effort. Excellent job. :-)

    ReplyDelete