Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I LOVED Anna Dressed in Blood, and I was really looking forward to this book. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high, or if it was something else, but I was disappointed with Girl of Nightmares. I really struggled with how to rate this book. I went back and forth from 3 to 4 stars, but ultimately decided on 3…here's why:

In summary, Girl of Nightmares picks up a few months after Anna Dressed in Blood leaves off. The old crew we love is back, Cas, Thomas, and Carmel, and they are trying to figure out how to get Anna back. Of course, besides trying to find a ghost trapped in Hell, they have human troubles of their own.

Now, here's where my problem lies. The first half of the book I could have done without. Literally, chapters 1-14 could have been condensed down to just a couple of chapters, and we would have gotten the same effect. I really was forcing myself to keep reading, and the only thing that kept me going was how much I had loved the first book. Ultimately, I'm glad I did keep reading. At chapter 15 the book picked up and ended with a bang. Action, betrayal, cults, sacrifice, Hell, ghosts, almost dying, etc., etc. It was completely awesome! If the whole book would have read like the last 15 chapters, I would have rated it 10 stars!

In Girl of Nightmares, we are also introduced to Jestine, who I am kind of hoping Blake pens into another book. The way this one ended, it is very likely the end of the series, but I would love to see one more with Cas and Jestine. They were a lot of fun together. So, long story short, even though I was not quite as thrilled with this book as the first, it was still good enough that I'd read the next, and I'm hoping there will be a next.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller