Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)Graceling by Kristin Cashore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me tell you, if you love a kick-ass heroin, Katsa is your girl. Katsa learned at an early age she was gifted with the Grace of killing. This is how she has seen herself her whole life—as a monster, a killer—and this is how everyone around her sees her. However, as we find out, there is a whole lot more to Katsa than just killing.

I really enjoyed the characters in Graceling. Katsa is so much fun. She's pretty much straightforward in her way of thinking. Po was a lot of fun, too. I fell in love with his character immediately. I like how we got to see both grow and mature throughout the story, and though there was a lot of action in this book, it was balanced out with the romance between Katsa and Po, which was sweet and spicy. Bitterblue was a great character, too. I am looking forward to reading more about her.

I loved the world Graceling was created into and the descriptiveness of the author as she described the settings. I was able to easily picture in my head the different scenes. I also enjoyed the author's writing style, which was simple and flowed easily.

My only real complaint about this book was that the second half was a bit slow. There was a lot of traveling going on during this point in the book, which of course by horseback takes weeks, even months, and there just was not a lot going on in the story. It was not boring, just not up to the standards the first half of the book set. Oh, I guess one more complaint…I hear that the sequel is not actually a sequel and the third book's focus is on Bitterblue, which I am looking forward to, but what I really want is more of Katsa and Po. I want to know what happens to them after Graceling. The way the book ended there are so many possibilities.

I listened to the audio of Graceling. It was the best audio I have ever listened to. Rather than a single narrator, it has a full cast, complete with music, so you got the whole effect of the story. It was really neat.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller