The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin

The Next Thing I Knew (Heavenly, #1)The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book begins with us meeting Lucy, the main character, who happens to have just died…like everyone else on Earth. Lucy is your typical teenage girl, or ghost as the case may be. Through the book Lucy is struggling with figuring out the technicalities of her new "life", as well as struggling with her first love and subsequently her first heartbreak. She is an outgoing, likable character and soon becomes the unwilling leader of a group of people who are trying to figure out what happened to the people of Earth and stop even more destruction from happening. This is especially hard for Lucy because she does not see herself as a leader and has little to no confidence in her own abilities.

What I liked about this book:
1) The characters. I love a book where the author is able to "humanize" the characters and make them real. I thought the characters in this book were well developed. The author has given them enough background and emotion that they are fun to read about.

2) The humor. More than a few times while reading this book I actually laughed out loud. I really enjoy John Corwin's writing style.

3) The twists in plot. My favorite type of book is one that keeps you guessing. There is nothing more disappointing while reading a book than thinking you have everything figured out halfway through just to finish the book and find out you were right. No problems like that with this book. I had no idea what was coming, and when I did make a guess, I was usually wrong! I did not want to put it down because I just had to know what was going to happen next!

I am really hoping this is a first in a series because, even though the book wrapped up nicely, I was left with quite a few unanswered questions at the end. You know a book was worth reading when you do not want it to end!!

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller