Masters at Arms by Kallypso Masters

Masters at Arms (Rescue Me, #1)Masters at Arms by Kallypso Masters
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have to admit that after all of the great reviews for this book, I was a bit disappointed with the stories.
The good-
These short stories were a good setup for the longer novels to come. In them, we got to meet the main characters and get a good look into their personalities. This will be important later when getting into the main books. These stories show how the characters' lives all come together for the next step in life.
The bad-
I felt as if there were too many inconsistencies in these stories. The characterization was not uniform even from the beginning of one short story to the end, and definitely not from story to story. Then there were so many moments where I stopped to say, that didn't really just happen! (I call these WTF moments). There were just too many of them to make the stories believable at all.

Ultimately, I think I am leaning towards reading at least the first full length book in the series just to see where the author takes the story and what she can do outside of a short story. Hopefully with more room to work she is able to fix the character flaws and inconsistencies in the story.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller