Jake by Michael Cargill

JakeJake by Michael Cargill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jake is just an ordinary boy who wants to be liked.

This sentence sums up Jake pretty well. The story of Jake is the story of a pretty ordinary teenage boy going through his ordinary day to day life. I think that is what makes this book interesting, the fact that Jake is just like the kid next door…or just like you. He has a good home, a nice life, and satisfying friendships. He is not some secret superpower waiting to be discovered – he's just Jake.

The characters are well written and believable. Jake's little brother Ben is cute. I think it is hard to write kids and make them credible, but the author is able to do it here.

Overall I enjoyed this story, though it was a bit depressing. I guess life is sometimes, though. The beginning was a bit slow for me, but as Jake's story continued things and people's lives started weaving together and created an interesting narrative.


View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Nice one, Shez!

    Glad you liked it.

    Out of all the characters I've created, Ben is definitely one of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller